Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Message from Gerardo Hernandez after being released from "the hole"

Dear Sisters and Brothers:

I am dictating these words via telephone, which
is why I must be brief and I will not be able to
say everything I would have liked. Yesterday
afternoon I was removed from "the hole" with the
same speed in which I was thrown in. I had been
taken there supposedly because I was under
investigation. These investigations can take up
to three months, sometimes more, but I was there
13 days. As a known Cuban journalist would say;
you can draw your own conclusions...

I want to express to all of you my deep
gratitude. You know that they were particularly
difficult days due to the excessive heat and the
lack of air, but you all were my oxygen. I can't
find a better way to summarize the enormous
importance of your solidarity efforts.

Many thanks to all the compañeras and compañeros
from Cuba and around the world who joined their
voices to condemn my situation. Thanks to the
institutions, organizations and individuals of
goodwill that in one way or another worked to
bring an end to this injustice.

To our President Raúl, that so honors us with his
support. To the Cuban National Assembly and its
President Ricardo Alarcón, a tireless fighter for
the cause of the Five. To my four brothers, who
sent me messages of encouragement, and who have
also suffered and lived under constant risk of
suffering similar abuses. And of course, to our
dear Commander in Chief: Thank you for so much
honor! (I don't know if I should say it, but just
the privilege of hearing my name in Fidel's voice
makes me feel like thanking those who put me in
"the hole"...)

Thank you Comandante, for the joy of hearing you
and seeing you as great as ever!

Thanks to everyone for having demonstrated again
the power of solidarity which, without a doubt,
will one day make us free.

The struggle continues!

A big embrace,
Gerardo Hernández Nordelo

US Penitentiary, Victorville, CA

August 3rd, 2010

Solidarity is the Tenderness of the Peoples

After 13 days in the notorious solitary
confinement unit of the high security Victorville
Penitentiary, Gerardo Hernandez has been moved
back to the general population.

It was the immediate response by Cuba
and the voices of solidarity from all over the
world to the inhumane conditions that Gerardo was
being subjected to that was key to his release.

This is a small but significant victory and
demonstrates once again the power of united
actions against the face of injustice.

With that same spirit and that same strength let
us multiply our actions until Gerardo, René,
Ramón, Antonio and Fernando return to their
beloved homeland and their love ones.

International Committee for the Freedom of the Cuban 5
Stay tuned to our website with latest development
on the case: www.thecuban5.org

info@thecuban5.org

No comments: