Thursday, October 05, 2006

Senator Gordon Smith letter on "eco-terrorism"

This is a generic letter I received from Senator Gordon Smith in response to my letter in support of Daniel McGowan. I received a response from other politicians too, but it didn't address the subject matter, it basically just said "Thanks for your comments. We appreciate hearing from citizens" or some such BS. This is interesting because it actually does address "eco-terrorism". Since it is presumably a standardized response to all who send letters, maybe opponents of the "green scare" could write a collective response?
__________________________________________
Thank you for contacting me about eco-terrorism. I appreciate the time you took to contact me and I welcome this opportunity to respond.
The FBI's Domestic Terrorism Section defines eco-terrorism as "the use or threatened use of violence of a criminal nature against innocent victims or property by an environmentally-oriented, subnational group for environmental-political reasons, or aimed at an audience beyond the target, often of a symbolic nature." I understand that this definition is quite broad. However, acts of violence and terrorism against people or property, no matter cause or justification, are contemptible. More often than not, these violent acts are made against law-abiding citizens trying to earn a living.
We are fortunate in our state to have elected officials, business owners and citizens who are collectively interested in protecting the environment and maintaining a viable economy. These two goals are not mutually exclusive and may be attained peacefully to the benefit of all. Protection of our natural resources need not be at the expense of our ability to enjoy, enhance and utilize them.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write. It is an honor and a privilege to serve Oregon in the United States Senate. I am always eager for your input, and I hope that you will continue to share your views with me in the future.
Warm regards,
Gordon H. Smith
United States Senate

No comments: