Saturday, July 16, 2011

Political Prisoner Hugo Pinell on hunger strike

Via Kiilu Nyasha

Greetings All:

I got a letter today from Yogi Bear, Hugo Antonio Lyons Pinell. As
most of you know, Yogi has been tortured in the Pelican Bay SHU since
1990 and in other California gulags since the early 1970s. He began
his incarceration in 1964 at age 19. He has joined the hunger strike
and writes:

"A hunger strike has been in effect since Julu 1 and I've been with
it, altho is very hard to know what's going on? On July 1, one
station up here announced the hunger strike, but nothing since and I
don't know if prisoners have gotten with staff and what's happening,
etc. But I have to get with it because it's for a great cause and if
good changes come about, I could get a break too. At this point, a
move to a mainline would be great being that my keepers are
determined to keep me until I die. On a mainline, we could have
contact visits again! It's been too long since I've touched my Mom
and all of my loved ones.

When or since I met you in 1973, I've been on no contact visits
status. They kept telling me I'd get my contact visits back. But
they sent me to a new SHU in 1986, and everybody is on no contact
visits status in these SHUs.

"It's been a really long time since I particpated in a hunger strike,
but I was much younger, stronger and ready. I wasn't prepared for a
hunger strike, so i don't know how well or how long I can hold on,
but I had to participate. I don't have the options so many have used
to get out of prison ofr the SHU. The counselor tells me I do have
those options, but I tell thim I don't because I can't use them. I'm
into growing, evolving and building, not into negative,
self-destructive behavior. I don't even think in terms of doing or
saying something wrong to better my situation, for that would strike
against everyting I live for; freedom, a New Man and that New
World. So, Sis, this hunger strike provides me with an opportunity
for better changes while also in concert and support of all those
willing to risk their precious and valuable health.

"I'm feeling okay, ut I wish I knew what's going on. Well, in
time. I'm not working out, physically, but I'm drinking a lot of
water, get my walking, meditation, my studying and mind travels
:)! I send my best to everyone. Take good care, Sis...."

I had already written Yogi a long letter and enclosed a report on the
hunger strike so he would know how much it grew and expanded, and how
much support he and the others have. But I hope you will join me in
keeping these prisoners company during this extremely difficult
period. Please write to them.
If you need others' addresses, I may have them. Here's Yogi's address:

Hugo L.A. Pinell
A88401 D3-221
P.O. Box 7500
Crescent City, Ca. 95531-7500

Also, you can learn more about his case on the (not updated)
website: <http://www.hugopinell.com>www.hugopinell.com

Peace, power and love,

Kiilu


No comments: