Sunday, December 03, 2006

Update and Appeal from Jaan Laaman

Seasons greetings sisters and brothers,
I'm writing to circulate this update Jaan wrote recently, and is also
published in issue 8 of his online zine, 4Struggle Mag
(www.4strugglemag.org). Please keep Jaan and all political prisoners in
your thoughts and actions this winter. Take some time to organize a
benefit, send a holiday contribution to the fund or write Jaan a holiday
card. The 'Free Jaan Laaman' t-shirts are still available in various
sizes, and make a great gift. His contact info is below. Also, we've
started a Jaan Laaman Legal Freedom Fund email newsletter. If you'd like
to subscribe, please reply to this email. Thanks.

Freedom is a constant struggle,
Dominic
JLLFF

*************************************************************************************************************************

A Fall '06 Update and Appeal from Jaan Laaman, Ohio 7 Political Prisoner

To all my friends, 4strugglemag readers, and fellow peace, justice and
revolutionary activists,

Let me update my legal situation. I am still at Walpole, Massachusetts
state prison, where I recently began my 23rd straight year of captivity.
I am the last Ohio 7 person, with a release date, who is still locked
up. My Ohio 7 comrade Tom Manning is also still in prison, doing a life
sentence without a real parole date.

Last year I discovered a possibility of reopening and challenging my
Mass case. If I can overturn this, I would be overdue for parole
eligibility and release on my federal sentence. Of course any legal
effort is a huge uphill battle, especially for political prisoners. This
is a real possibility though and the first appeal I am even hopeful
about, as well as determined to win. I need good and committed legal
representation to fight this appeal. The state has refused to assign me
an attorney. No government agency wants to assist me in gaining justice
and freedom. My defense is totally in my hands and the hands of the
people now.
Early this year, I established a Legal Freedom Fund and began raising
funds for my fight for justice and freedom. Thankfully some people have
stepped forward and supported me, especially family and close
associates. I still need to raise some thousands of dollars and I am
asking for your help now.

This is my first effort at fund raising for my own legal defense, and
though I feel pretty awkward asking for your help like this, it is
necessary and I must do it. My Freedom Fund is staffed by a few sincere
volunteers and all proceeds go directly towards defense expenses and
lawyers. This is a one time legal effort which will be resolved one way
or the other in the next year or two. Of course my hope and intention is
to overturn my case, prove my innocence and finally join my now 25 year
old son and family and all of you outside again.
I really need your help to do this now. Checks can be made out to:

Jaan Laaman Legal Freedom Fund
and send them to:

Jaan Laaman Legal Freedom Fund
P.O. Box 681
East Boston, MA 02071

I am encouraging groups and organizations to hold fundraisers, parties
and other events to support my fight for freedom. You can contact
Dominic at the Freedom Fund P.O. Box or write to me, to discuss such
efforts.

Seriously consider helping me now and thank you for your suppport.

FREEDOM IS A CONSTANT STRUGGLE! Jaan - Nov, 2006

Jaan Laaman (W87237)
P.O. Box 100
South Walpole, MA 02071

No comments: