New federal law may pass TOMORROW that labels peaceful activism as "terrorism!"
The Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA) is pending in Congress (HR 4239). Industry groups are pushing it through quickly and with little public scrutiny (fast-tracking it like the Patriot Act... first through the House of Reps, then through the Senate) before the Fall recess.
They plan to vote on this tomorrow, Friday, September 29 in the House.
This is the most important call yet because it affects our ability to help ALL animals!
We need to flood the lines with calls in opposition now!
• Contact your House Reps now at 202-224-3121 to urge them to oppose HR 4239.
• Contact your Senators now at 202-224-3121 to urge them to oppose S 3880 (was S 1926).
• Contact co-sponsors Senators Inhof & Feinstein at 202-224-3121 to oppose S 3880.
• Forward this message to friends & social advocacy groups.
Details & Talking Points:
The Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act drastically expands the Animal Enterprise Protection Act of 1992.
• AETA labels the tactics of Martin Luther King and Gandhi as “terrorism.” It spells out penalties for “an offense involving exclusively a nonviolent physical obstruction of an animal enterprise or a business having a connection to, or relationship with, an animal enterprise, that may result in loss of profits but does not result in bodily injury….” In other words any act that causes a loss of profits to animal-exploiting industries (like a reduction in meat consumption) can be treated as terrorism.
• AETA risks the prosecution of undercover investigators, whistle-blowers and other activists as “terrorists.” It defines “economic damage” as including “the loss of profits.” The extremely vague and broad sweeping language puts all animal advocates at risk. Causing the loss of profits is NOT terrorism. It’s effective activism. And even activists that are not prosecuted under the law will be affected by the extreme rhetoric.
• AETA is unnecessary. There are already laws to protect industries against illegal actions, regardless of who commits the acts.
All Americans should be concerned about this gross infringement on the first amendment. The term terrorism should not be used against peaceful social justice advocacy.
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act action alert
Call the numbers below and tell them where you live to be connected to your local reps. Even if you are under 18 please call, you will be voting soon and they need to hear from all of us!