Thursday, September 14, 2006

New prison dispatch from Jeff “Free” Luers (August 28, 2006)

New prison dispatch from Jeff “Free” Luers (August 28, 2006)
When I started this dispatch a few days ago, my thoughts were jumbled. I’m not sure they are any clearer now. But I know what I want to try to say.
Now that I am out of the hole most of the letter that were sent 4-5 weeks ago are starting to be delivered. Thank you all for the love and support. It warms my heart.
I don’t know what it is like for our other captured warriors. There is little communication between me and other prisoners. And there is a definite lack of structure that would allow the political prisoners to work together. I would like to change that. However, that is perhaps a topic for my next dispatch.
I find myself in a strange situation of being a voice for an ideal and belief system. I give countless interviews and speeches on anarchism, environmentalism, direct action and activism. I always try to just speak for myself, but give an overview of broader topics.
I’m not entirely sure how all of this came about. It could be because of my amazing friends who have put up websites, made stickers, and movies about my story. My wonderful friends who refused to give up until the world knew my name and case.
Maybe it’s because of how much time I got and the fact that I steadfastly refuse to quit running my neck. Always preaching, even begging, for a revolution.
It might even be the right combination of the two. Still it never ceases to amaze me at the overwhelming amount of mail I’ve received, so many people from all over the world telling me how much I’ve inspired them.
I like to think that I inspire people because I’m still trying, still struggling. I like to think that I’m proof that everyone has this courage and passion inside of themselves.
It would break my heart if people thought I was something special or part of some kind of vanguard. I’m just an ordinary human being. I’m just like you.
Direct action isn’t something that is supposed to be left to some vanguard. It is for the people. All people. It doesn’t have to be spectacular it just has to be consistent.
Finding the courage to face state repression isn’t difficult it just takes believing in yourself and knowing you are right.
When I read the papers, even mainstream ones, I see how much global warming has become apart of our collective conscience. It is on the front page, in the comics, and editorials. Everyone is saying, “Something must be done”. And everyone is saying it like the power to fix the problem lies in someone else’s hands.
How did we as a society ever get so disempowered? How did we become so impotent?
For a long time I thought it was fear of repression. I thought it might have been intimidation or the belief that a small group of people can’t change anything.
But, what if it’s none of that. What if our collective fear is that we are powerful beyond measure? What if our fear comes from not wanting to be responsible?
These days it seems like everyone knows what is going on. Many people want change and are articulate and passionate about ending the war, creating social and environmental justice.
So, really, what gives? Why are we waiting?
I guess there is some big miracle around the corner. I just don’t know about it. Now that I know, I can sit back and rely on it, too. I can turn to these nameless and faceless others that will create this miracle. I mean, thank goodness, it’s someone’s responsibility to address all these pressing issues.
That doesn’t work for me. It shouldn’t work for anyone else.
I know what my country is doing wrong. I know what we are letting corporations get away with. It is my responsibility to try and stop it because I know.
I don’t enjoy it, but I embrace that responsibility. To steal a quote, evil flourishes when good people do nothing.
If you are reading this you likely know, also. Especially since I’ve yet to master preaching beyond the choir.
This responsibility is yours, as well. You don’t have to like it (I don’t). But you have to accept it, for two reasons: 1) you have the power to change that which is wrong. 2) You know what’s wrong and if you do nothing then you are part of what’s wrong.
I don’t want to be in prison. I wish I had been born in a different time, one that allowed me to live a simple life with my family and friends.
I’m not sure how much I believe in destiny or fate. All I know is that I was born into this mess. Born into a society of injustice, that puts profits before life and justifies all of it with twisted morality.
I can’t live in this world without challenging it, I don’t know how. Some people say that’s why I belong in prison. And, maybe, I do. If there is only a handful of people willing to fight back against insanity maybe this is where we belong. Locked away as a threat to those in power. Locked out of mainstream activism because our resistance goes beyond what the state allows, beyond their self-defined comfort zone.
But that doesn’t make me or anyone else an elite. Perhaps it just means we try too hard. That we have the audacity to believe a better world is possible and that we can help create it.
Maybe I’m the crazy one. It could be that those in power are supposed to be corrupt. Inequality really could be human nature. Maybe people should know their places and cower before their masters. It could very well be that this is the order of the universe and those who accept it have the right idea.
If that is the case, well, I’ll just have to continue being stubbornly wrong.
Jeff “Free” Luers
Write to: Jeff Luers
#13797671
Oregon State Prison
2605 State Street
Salem, Oregon 97310
USA
For more information: www.freefreenow.org

No comments: