Thursday, July 20, 2006

Statement from Darren Thurston

Support Update #12 | 07/20/2006

As a follow-up to Darren's court hearing today, he has asked us to release
the following public statement.

To my supporters, friends and family;

On July 20th, 2006, I entered a guilty plea to charges regarding my
involvement in an Animal and Earth Liberation Front action and the related
overall conspiracy as charged in the FBI's Operation Backfire.

At a meeting in late April, federal prosecutors and law enforcement agents
informed me of three co-operating witnessees willing to testify to my
involvement in the Lichtfield Bureau of Land Management wild horse release
and fire.

Under these circumstances, the only way for me to avoid the 30-45 year
mandatory sentence is to enter some type of plea agreement. A short time
ago I learned that the prosecutor's offer in return for my guilty plea is
37 months in prison. While I can not say I am happy to spend any time
incarcerated, I am glad to know that I will walk free from these walls
within my lifetime - have the small pleasures of the sun on my face, or a
swim in a cold mountain creek once again.

The actual sentencing will not occur until later this year. With luck I
will be placed in a minimum security federal prison and possibly will be
transfered back to Canada to serve my time close to my community.

I would like to thank my family and friends for their continued support of
me through the troubled times in my life. I would especially like to thank
the beautiful strong women who have been there for me - friends, comrades
and lovers - thank you for sharing your strength, knowledge and
compassion.

In gratitude and struggle,
Darren Thurston

No comments: