Saturday, May 24, 2008

ELP Information Bulletin (24th May 2008)

ELP Information Bulletin (24th May 2008)

Dear friends

Has has two lots of news for you:

1) Austrian raids/arrests
2) News from Rod's support campaign

1) As people may be aware, earlier in the week Austrian police raided and arrested ten Austrian animal rights campaigners. ELP has been trying to gather as much news on these raids/arrests as possible and if anyone has any further information about these raids please let ELP know. However, here is an Associated Press article about the raids.....

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/05/24/europe/EU-GEN-Austria-Animal-Rights.php
The Associated Press
Published: May 24, 2008

Austrian police question 10 'militant' animal rights activists suspected
of arson, sabotage

VIENNA, Austria: Austrian authorities say they are questioning 10 animal
rights activists suspected of arson, sabotage and other crimes.

Investigators said six of the suspects have been placed in pretrial
detention for their alleged involvement in "militant" animal rights
groups. Officials allege that the suspects are behind numerous arson fires
and vandalism targeting food, clothing, pharmaceutical and agricultural
companies.

Prosecutors said the 10 were arrested earlier this week after a months
long investigation into radical animal rights groups.

Austrian media reported Saturday that one of the suspects has begun a
hunger strike while in custody.

Investigators said the suspects used various aliases and allegedly had
links to an international network.


2) Below is a mailout from Chrysta, the partner of American vegetarian animal/earth liberation activist Rod Coronado. True to the compassion so characteristic of Rod, he has asked that we, the international prisoner support movement, support his family whilst he is locked away, therefore if you can help Rod and his family please do. For more information about Rod please check out http://www.supportrod.org/


>
> ” the lonely path,
>
> through dust and fog-
>
> sweet home!”
>
> It’s been two weeks now that Rod has been up in Oklahoma, a place that will serve as a residence to him for the next 10 months. It, like the above haiku, is a lonely path, but what awaits is the beacon of inner strength.
>
> He says it is really not so bad; the yard is nice and actually has vegetation, the other prisoners have been very helpful, and it seems as he may navigate his way through there alright. He said he could sit in the afternoons, alone in the soccer yard, leaning on a goal post, reading undisturbed. He said there are spaces of peace there.
>
> The first week went as anticipated~ he being put in the whole as the incoming terrorist……. They needed to make sure he wasn’t going to make any trouble. Once he met with the “captain”, he was allowed to join general population but he would be monitored very closely. That is for certain, as I have only received one letter and he says he is sending one daily. I think that is due to the regulations that every letter must be personally read before it goes out. This is not standard procedure. Also, Rod can call me between the hours of 1-4 pm his time, so that every call is live monitored, as well. This means I can talk to him at 1pm my time, if I am off of work. Such is the game.
>
> At first I was not as disturbed by these limits, understanding the system of hierarchy and what it aims to do. But as I think more on it, I become more concerned. The reasoning on the part of FCI to monitor Rod is that they want to make sure that Rod is not recruiting from within prison. That is heavy. At first I laughed, I know it seems almost silly to think in their terms. But, what it means is that they perceive Rod as a serious threat to National Security, a recruiter who must be monitored from even within his confinement!
>
> I hear in Rod’s voice that he knows he has to be very careful. There is a line in our conversations that we cannot cross. They seem to be looking for something, and that makes me cautious. I have felt how power-hungry and tyrannical this system is, and I have no doubt that once they are able to find a reason to punish Rod, they would. It makes me hesitate to believe that the end of a battle with the government is near.
>
> Sweet Home!
>
> On a lighter note, I am trying to get myself out to Oklahoma, in June to surprise Rod with a visit! It is intended to be a surprise, so if you write him please don’t mention it! At this point, I charged the ticket to his credit card, and I am not sure how I will pay for a hotel and rental car! But, I am determined to make it happen! I know he needs me, I hear it in his voice!
>
> If you could assist in any way, it would be appreciated! We have always considered the community support such a honor to have! I again would be so appreciative of any help in this direction. If you please use the paypal option , that is always easiest for us, as well.
>
> Thanks for keeping us in your hearts on the path through dust and fog-
>
> Chrysta
>
> --

+++++++++

Earth Liberation Prisoners Support Network
BM Box 2407
London
WC1N 3XX
England
www.spiritoffreedom.org.uk

No comments: