Friday, October 12, 2007

Vigil held to remember domestic violence victims

Oct. 11, 2007

Bridget Smith, KENS 5 Eyewitness News

Every 12 seconds, a woman is beaten in the United States.

To bring awareness to the issue of domestic violence, the Crisis Center of
Comal County held a memorial Thursday in New Braunfels to remember women in
Texas who have died as a result of domestic violence.

Last year, 120 women died in Texas at the hands of their abuser. At the
memorial, every last one of their names was read. The hope is that those
names will be the last.

A woman who wished to be identified only as Mari married an abuser when she
was just 17 years old. She stayed with him for 33 years.

"He would pull my hair. I would have bumps in my head," she said. "My body's
so hurt already that I couldn't take it anymore."

A month ago, with no friends and no family, she left. Support and services
were waiting for Mari at the Crisis Center of Comal County.

"All educational levels, all income levels, all ethnicities. They come to us
because they have decided to make a change," said Daniel Perez, with the
crisis center.

However, not every woman makes the transition in time. On Thursday, their
names were read.

A week ago, a woman who wished to be identified only as Cindy, made a break
from her husband of seven years.

"Nobody has to live like this," Cindy said.

He kicked her with steel-toed boots and then laughed.

"I was pregnant at the time. (He) kicked me in the stomach until I couldn't
breathe anymore," Cindy said.

The crisis center reports that a woman is 70 percent more likely to be
killed when trying to leave an abusive relationship.

"We have law enforcement, the criminal justice system, the medical community
... a lot of nonprofits in Comal County assist us in what we do," Perez
said.

Mari is thankful she's alive to start over again.

"I said, 'I'm 48 years old. I have to do the other half of what God has for
me,' " she said.

Last year, local law enforcement agencies responded to 1,100 calls involving
victims of domestic violence.

---

Source : KENS 5 Eyewitness News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA101107.vigil.kens.160700c
f2.html

No comments: